Financial Assistance Programs
St. Mary Catholic School Financial Assistance Programs
St. Mary Catholic School recognizes the financial investment families make when choosing a Catholic School education. Although families and extended families take primary responsibility for the cost of a student’s education, we are committed to helping parents who need assistance to afford the choice of a SMCS education. St. Mary Catholic School offers the following need-based financial aid programs.
FACTS Education Grant & Aid Application:
All SMCS families are eligible to apply for Archdiocesan tuition assistance using the FACTS Education Grant & Aid Application. Beginning November 1, 2020, the FACTS Education Grant and Aid Application will be available online for the 2021-2022 school year and is required if you’re requesting assistance from the AOB, SMCS, or your parish. Deadline to apply for Archdiocesan assistance is February 28. Read a letter from our Principal HERE. Look over the FACTS application flyer HERE. Access the FACTS portal HERE.
Catholic Parish Support:
- Saint Mary and Saint Michael parishioners can apply for parish tuition assistance using the FACTS application. The deadline to apply for Saint Mary & Saint Michael’s assistance is April 1. Additional information is available in the school office.
- Members of Saint Ann, Saint Joseph, Saint James, and Saint Augustine should contact your home parish pastors and ask what is available for assistance. Your pastors are grateful to be able to assist you. Archbishop William E. Lori is an advocate of Catholic education, so please ask your Church what She can do to help.
Flexible Payment Plans:
- Payments are made online through FACTS annually, bi-annually, or monthly for your convenience (https://online.factsmgt.com)
New Student Referral Program:
- Current SMCS families can earn a $300 tuition credit ($100 tuition credit per trimester for enrolled status) for each new student that is referred and actually enrolls in grades Pre-K full day through grade 8 and attends SMCS during the 2021-2022 school year. (Refer a family that enrolls two students and receive a $600 tuition credit. Refer a family that enrolls three students and receive a $900 tuition credit. The maximum tuition credit amount annually is $900). The tuition credit amount for referring a family who enrolls a student in the Pre-K half-day program is $150 ($50 tuition credit per trimester for enrolled status). Read more about this program.
Maryland BOOST Scholarship:
BOOST is a State Maryland Program, enacted in 2016, to ensure lower-income students could afford the K-12 education best fit for their needs. BOOST provides scholarships to eligible students to enable them to attend a nonpublic school. The 2021-2022 BOOST Application is now open! Applicants have until 11:59 PM on May 17, 2021 to submit applications. http://marylandpublicschools.org/Pages/boost/index.aspx
The state of Maryland, 529 Savings Account*:
The State of Maryland, in partnership with T. Rowe Price, now allows Marylanders to invest in 529 savings accounts to help pay their children’s K-12 tuition. Those who invest and pay for K-12 tuition with a Maryland 529 account enjoy tax-free growth and a state income tax deduction.
Child Care Tax Credit:
- Families with a Pre-K (4) student may be eligible to claim a tax credit under the child care tax credit as long as the student was under our care while the parent(s) worked or were in search of work. Families with a stay-at-home or unemployed spouse cannot claim the credit. Please consult with your financial adviser for details before claiming this tax credit and refer to IRS Publication 503: https://www.irs.gov/
- SCRIP is a gift card program that generates “free money.” Our school families have been using SCRIP to reduce their own tuition. SMCS families have saved over a quarter of a million dollars in tuition costs using the SCRIP program. Start making Catholic education affordable today! Get started today: SCRIP.
*Nothing herein constitutes tax advice. Please consult a tax professional regarding any and all tax deductions or other tax planning, including changes to existing laws and limitations.
Interested in Learning More about our Catholic School?
In choosing St. Mary Catholic School, you are investing in your child’s tomorrow. For over 140 years students and families have been entrusting SMCS for educational excellence – spiritually, academically, and socially. We invite you to visit our campus in historic Hagerstown, Maryland to learn more about our school as well as our school community.