Having celebrated its 250th anniversary as the Mother of All Churches in the Hagerstown, Washington County area, Saint Mary’s Catholic Church continues to be the source of spiritual growth and devotion for many faithful Catholics.
The history of the Church, “Mother of Churches,” states, “Through all those years there has been a Catholic congregation in Hagerstown. The present church building, begun on July 4, 1826, stands on the same site as the log chapel where the first congregations joined the itinerate Jesuit missionaries to offer the holy sacrifice of the Mass in the days when Saint Mary’s was under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of London, England.” The Church has come a long way since its humble beginnings so many years ago, but it stays steadfast in its teachings of the Catholic faith, and all that it encompasses.
St. Mary Catholic School became a part of the parish in 1874, and throughout the years the pastors and priests have supported and encouraged the growth of the school. Saint Mary’s Parish subsidizes all students attending St. Mary Catholic School and is a big part of our existence.
For more information on the Church, schedule of Masses, and all the programs that it offers visit http://www.saintmarysonline.org.